Managing the movement of pedestrians in urban and open spaces is often critical for safety, efficiency and functional reasons. Choose our CrowdTuff® pedestrian barrier fence system for a tough, durable and good looking solution.
CrowdTuff® is our proprietary system designed to protect pedestrians from injury through all manner of hazards, such as contact with moving vehicles, falling from height, and accessing water bodies. It is often also used to simply manage pedestrian movement around open space areas such as parks and walkways.
The standard assembly consists of 2400mm long panels with uprights welded into horizontal rails and secured to posts with proprietary security bracket and anti-tamper fastenings. The premium grade pre-galvanised steel surface is meticulously cleaned and prepared in a 7-stage chemical pre-treatment process and finished in a highly durable polyester powder coat that will look great for years to come. The fencing and gate system is pre-fabricated and is assembled readily on site with no need for cutting and welding.
The benefits of CrowdTuff® pedestrian barrier fencing include:
Peace of mind that the duty of care to protect pedestrians has been met.
Prevention of actual harm or serious injury.
Time and cost savings by way of reduced repair costs and extended product life.
Superior aesthetic outcome by way of the design and high quality coating finish.
BRIEF PRODUCT VIDEO
Can be configured in Loop, Rod or Flat Top
Standard “off the shelf” style available
1200mm high panel standard
Australian Standard 1170.1 C3 Crowd Loading option
Anti-graffiti coating options
The picket is welded through the rails and not face welded
CrowdTuff® pedestrian barrier fencing installed to protect pedestrians while they wait at a late night cab rank by preventing them moving into the path of approaching taxis or other traffic.
Fencing installed to create a pedestrian 'rail maze'. This encourages pedestrians to look both aways for approaching trains as they attempt to cross the active rail tracks.
Fencing used to create a barrier around a park so as to control access of pedestrians to the oval and control children leaving the oval onto a busy passing road.
Fencing used at a school bus stop to control the movement of children as they alight vehicles and buses and restrict them from coming in contact with moving vehicles.
The fencing in a Loop Top stile using a 19x1.2mm round picket passing through a 40x40x1.6mm rail gives the panel a lot of strength by design to withstand wear and tear and abuse. The loop also adds a decorative aspect.
The fencing in a Rod Top stile using a 25x25x1.2mm square steel picket passing through a 40x40x1.6mm rail similarly strong and the Rod adds a decorative aspect and also discourages sitting or climbing on or over the fence.
The Bluedog SmartaBracket® is made from 3mm mild steel and encloses the rail for strength. It is hot dip galvanised after fabrication for longer corrosion resistance.
The security bracket fixes to the non-attack side of the fence post making removal of the panel more difficult and giving a pleasing aesthetic outcome from the visual side.
The change of direction 'splay' SmartaBracket® makes changes in direction of the fence quick, easy and neat without the need for cutting.
CrowdTuff® pedestrian fencing in a 1800mm high Rod Top style along a section of the City to Glenelg tramline in Adelaide prevents pedestrians coming into contact with the tram by crossing the track other than at the designated crossings.
Fencing in a 1200mm high Loop Top style along a rail platform in Adelaide prevents passengers injuring themselves by accidentally falling off the platform, and restricts unauthorised access to the tracks.
Fencing in a 1200mm high Flat Top style installed on a shared path on a bridge on the Sunshine Coast prevent pedestrians injuring themselves by accidentally falling off the bridge.
Fencing in a 1800mm high Rod Top style installed on top a raised retaining wall in Brisbane preventing injuring themselves by falling from the height.
While the product is manufactured using pre-galvanised steel as standard, the material can instead be hot dip galvanised after fabrication to suit higher corrosion environments.
There is no Australian Standard for pedestrian barrier fencing. As a consequence suppliers in the market can offer fencing materials that vary greatly in terms of the steel tube profile size, the wall thickness (gauge) of the tube, the strength, the design and method of fabrication, the corrosion resistance, the metal pretreatment process used to clean the product and the powder coating regime. These aspects dramatically impact the cost of the fencing materials but also the whole of life cost of the product, including the safety of the product in service. In the absence of an Australian Standard we have developed this pro-forma specification to assist specifiers receive a fit-for-purpose, compliant, and cost effective outcome. Please CONTACT US and we can provide free of charge a word format version of this proforma specification to more easily use.
• Flat top with Ø19x1.2mm or 25x25x1.2mm vertical pickets into the horizontal rails at 106mm or 140mm centres respectively.
• Loop top with Ø19x1.2mm pickets passing through the rails at 106mm centres that extend 150mm above top rail and finish flush with the bottom rail.*
• Rod top with Ø19x1.2mm or 25x25x1.2mm vertical pickets into the horizontal rails at 106mm or 140mm centres respectively, that extend 150mm above top rail and finish flush with the bottom rail.*
*Please note: we recommend flat top fencing for child-safe applications as there is no potential hanging point for children whereas there is with the loop top and rod top style.
• For standard applications we recommend the Ø19x1.2mm round picket styles up to a maximum height of 1500mm.
• For higher duty applications we recommend 25x25x1.2mm square pickets.
• For crowd loaded applications we can offer a configuration that complies with crowd loading Category – Type of Occupancy “C3” in accordance with AS 1170.1 Structural design actions – Permanent, imposed and other actions – Table 3.3 “Minimum imposed actions for barriers”.
• For basic applications we can supply a low cost, light weight pressed steel shroud (1mm gauge) that is zinc plated. This shroud has two fixing diagonal fixing points to the post – in line with the panel - and one to the rail of the panel. We supply a color matched self-drilling tek screw in either 10 or 12 gauge to suit.
• For security applications we recommend our SmartaBracket® steel security bracket (3mm gauge) that is much stronger and vandal resistant than a shroud preventing theft of the panels or unauthorised access to a property. The bracket is hot dip galvanised, rather than zinc plated, after fabrication making it much more corrosion resistant and long lasting. The bracket encloses the rail and fixes to the non-attack side of the post making the bracket quicker to install. This bracket has two fixing points to the post and one to the rail of the panel. We can supply a 12 gauge self drilling tek screw with a standard hex drive or anti-tamper drive.
• For low to medium duty applications we recommend our low cost swing gates made with 40x40x1.6mm stiles and rails, with twin bottom rails up to a maximum leaf width of 2381mm.
• For higher duty applications we recommend a swing gate made with 65x65x2mm stiles and 65x65x1.6mm rails, with twin bottom rails up to a maximum leaf width of 2381mm.
• For low to medium duty applications we recommend a low cost ball bearing hinge that is secured to the gate stile and gate post with a combination of M8 bolts and 14g self-drilling tek screws.
• For higher duty applications we recommend one of our Eternity® hinges that combine a sealed bearing hinge at the top and a greasable tapered roller bearing at the bottom. These hinges have a much higher capacity in terms of the weight and length of the gate and will give years of trouble free service. The top hinge can be adjusted to raise or lower the level of the gate leaf. The assembly consists of a post bracket that is screwed to the gate post with four M10 stainless steel fasteners and a bracket that inserts into the gate stile.
• For self-closing gate applications we recommend a hydraulic self closing hinge that is child-safe. This unit has adjustable tension and screws the gate stile and gate post on site with a series of 14g self-drilling tek screws.
• For standard applications we recommend our Bolt’nLock® Ø20mm slide bolt and Ø16mm drop bolt combination. These units are easily fitted on site and suit a standard padlock. This system is low cost but much stronger than light weight domestic units. We supply 14 gauge self drilling tek screws with a standard hex drive to fit on site.
• For child-safe applications we can supply a magnetic latch that complies with AS1926.
• Polyester powder coat that will give a tough and long lasting colored finish to the fence.
• Zinc rich epoxy primer under coat to suit higher corrosion environments.
• Anti-graffiti coating that assists easier removal of graffiti.
• Hot dip galvanised after fabrication that will give a highly corrosion resistant finish to the fence.